• Played by over 220 million people worldwide, bridge is the most popular card game in the world.
• At present there are at least five different clubs running eight bridge sessions per week in Bedford Borough, all renting various premises
• Promote the playing of bridge to all levels at all ages, through equality and inclusivity
• Offer individuals learning and development opportunities to maximise their bridge potential
• Engender friendships, reducing social isolation
• Retain member clubs’ individual identity and styles
• Provide value for money
These objectives will be achieved through creating a single dedicated centre for bridge in Bedford, whose purpose will be to:
• Promote the game of bridge for the benefit of the residents of Bedford and the surrounding area.
• Provide facilities for the learning, teaching and playing of bridge
• The Bedford Bridge Centre has been created as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO). Our plan is to acquire and manage suitable premises and facilities, with the various bridge clubs then hiring those facilities. Each member club will retain its own separate identity and ethos, and will be represented on the Board of Trustees of the CIO.
• We need a well located, dedicated heated room or building of around 120 square metres, with toilet, kitchen facilities, disabled access and safe parking for twenty plus cars within Bedford Borough. It should also ideally have a small separate office.
• Rental, running and maintenance costs will be funded by hiring fees generated by the member clubs’ ‘table money’. We will cover initial equipment and set-up costs through a combination of existing member club funds, fund-raising and charity grant applications.